Saturday, August 30, 2008

Cinnamon-y Apple Cobbler

P8310587

So, after the very cinnamon-y coffee cake earlier in the week, I was craving more cinnamon-y goodness. I was looking to make a dessert for poker night and I knew almost all of us liked apple cobbler. So, knowing I wasn't going to have a lot of time for this dessert, I searched for a simple recipe. This one was not only simple, but really good. It got raves.

French Apple Cobbler

Ingredients:

Apple Filling:
5 cups tart apples, peeled, cored, and slicedP8310581
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. water
1 tbsp. butter, softened

Topping:
1/2 c. flour, sifted
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. butter softened
1 egg, slightly beatened

1. Preheat oven to 375. Lightly butter 9-inch baking dish.

P8310582 2. In a medium bowl, combine apples, 3/4 c. sugar, 2 tbsp. flour, cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. salt, vanilla, and water. Turn into buttered square pan. Dot with 1 tbsp. butter.

 

P8310583 3. Combine all topping ingredients. Beat with a wooden spoon until batter is smooth.

4. Drop batter in 9 portions over the apples, spacing evenly. Batter will spread during baking.

5. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown. Serve warm with cream or ice cream.

P8310585

Sissy's Variations:
I chopped rather than sliced my apples. I just liked that consistency better. And I used at least 2 tbsp butter to dot the filling.

The main thing I did different was adding a butter, sugar, cinnamon mixture to the topping at the end of the baking. I melted about 2 tbsp. of butter and mixed with sugar and cinnamon. I poured the mixture over the crust about 10 minutes before it finished cooking. I think it made a great addition.

P8310588

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

What a great cobbler recipe... especially with the fall weather around the corner!