Saturday, August 16, 2008

Sissy's Guacamole

I love guacamole. I mean, I really, really love guacamole. I will order things at Mexican restaurants just because they are served with guacamole. And I have a friend who hates it, but doesn't ask them not put it on his order just so he can give it to me. I LOVE guacamole.

Because of my love for that creamy green goodness, it only made sense that I learn to make it. It took a few tries, and I still make it by taste because I think it's one of those dishes that can change every time you make it. I don't pretend to have come up with some secret ingredient or technique, but I do make a pretty decent guacamole--it's even request on occasion.



Guacamole:
avocados
red onion (you can use white or yellow, but I like red in this for the flavor and color)
garlic, peeled
jalapeno pepper, seeded (I usually leave a few seeds because I don't mind a little heat)
tomato (I use whatever tomato I happen to have on hand
cilantro
lime
salt and pepper to taste

Give onion, garlic, and jalapeno a course chop then put in food processor. Pulse. Chop tomatoes and add to food processor. Add cilantro to mixture. Pulse until tomatoes are chopped, but not to small and not enough to let off too much moisture. Add a little salt and pepper; you can add more later as needed.

Cut open avocados and discard seed. Spoon meat into bowl and mash (I find a potato masher works really well for this). Add fresh squeezed lime juice (not too much so that guac is not too watery). Add pico mixture. Taste and add more salt, pepper, or cilantro as needed.

Sissy's Variations:
I like my pico de gallo mixture chopped pretty small, but if you like chunkier pieces, just leave it at a course chop. Avocados can also be left chunkier if desired.

No comments: