Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Sissy's Shrimp and Pasta



Bill really likes a shrimp dish that I used to make and while it wasn't unhealthy, it was not the lightest dish I could make. But we both really like shrimp, so I thought I'd play around with some ingredients, and used some inspirations from some of the other WC Nestie blogs, I came up with this shrimp and pasta dish. It was REALLY good and the only thing I will do differently next time is a little less heat. While it was perfectly edible and still really good, it had a bit too much of a kick for us.

This not going to be an exact recipe. I will list what I used, but I didn't measure and all ingredients can be adjusted based on taste, health, etc. I am tagging this under light because I used very little oil and a healthy pasta. Oh, and it is practically almost 100% sodium free.


Ingredients:
one pound peeled, deveined shrimp
olive oil
olive oil cooking spray
crushed red pepper flakes
fresh group black pepper
Tony Chachere's Salt Free Seasoning
McCormick Roasted Garlic & Red Bell Pepper seasoning (maybe a tsp., the only source of added sodium)
garlic, finely chopped
onion, finely chopped
shallot, finely chopped
(previous three ingredients will be divided between the shrimp and the pasta)
wine
pasta of choice (I used Ronzoni Smart Taste angel hair)

Cook pasta according to package directions.


In a dish, place olive oil (I barely added a tbsp), crushed red pepper flakes, and McCormick seasoning. Pat shrimp dry and pepper and "salt" (using salt free seasoning). Add shrimp to dish and toss to coat.


In a pan, add a small amount of olive oil and spray liberally. Allow to heat. Add a small amount of garlic, onion, and shallot. Add shrimp and spray with a little more spray. Cook until desired doneness. (Bill likes his shrimp a little on the crispy side, which might be a little overdone for some, so you be the judge.) Remove shrimp, set aside, and cover to keep warm.

Add wine (I didn't have any wine in the house, so I used cooking sherry) to pan and deglaze. Once wine is almost reduced, add a touch more olive oil and remaining garlic, onion, and shallot. Cook until tender. Add pasta to pan and toss.

Serve shrimp over pasta.

Sissy's Variations:
Even though this is my made up dish, I still have a few variations. I intended to add parmasean cheese to the pasta, but forgot. I added it on top of the shrimp once it was plated. Still good, but next time I will add to pasta.

3 comments:

Maryanna said...

Mmmm. This looks delicious. I love pasta with shrimp.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

My husband's not much of a pasta fan, but with some shrimp tossed in, he'd eat it! Thanks for sharing :)

Kira said...

You could add in some peas too for an extra vegetable!