Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Mexican Rice

P8170489

I really like Mexican rice. A lot of time at Mexican restaurants, I'll order double rice instead of beans. No, that's not the healthiest option, but I like, darn it! I've tried for a long time to get a good homemade Mexican rice. I don't really like the boxed stuff because they have too much sodium and other stuff.

So, I wanted to make a side dish to go with the Avocado Enchiladas and decided to try once again to attempt  the rice.

Ingredients:
low sodium chicken broth
rice
shallots, chopped
onion, chopped
garlic, chopped
jalapeno, chopped
olive oil and/or cooking spray
canned tomatoes (I had a can of petite diced)
frozen corn
cilantro, chopped

P8170477 Heat olive oil and/or cooking spray in pan over medium high heat. Saute onion, garlic, and shallot until soft. Add rice and saute until light golden brown. This is one of my favorite tricks for adding more flavor to rice.

In same skillet or in a sauce pan, mix chicken broth and rice, and cook according to directions (I used regular rice, so mine cooked for 20 minutes). Once rice is cooked, add tomatoes with juice (I only ended up using about 3/4 of the can. Add corn (I set out to thaw slightly and it thawed the rest of the way once added to the hot rice). Add cilantro right before serving.


Sissy's Variations:

I didn't have much jalapeno, so next time I will add more of that.

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Mmm - rice is my downfall. My stomach is seriously a bottomless pit when rice is available! This looks great and what a great choice to pair with your avocado enchiladas!